St Rita Wins American Heart Association Challenge
In order to keep children healthy and active, the American Heart Association developed a new initiative, the Heart Walk & Run Child Health Challenge.
The American Heart Association selected 25 local schools, including St. Rita School, to participate and asked them to make a video showing why they could use new PE equipment. Mr. Mutrie created a video with help from the entire school. Four winners were chosen out of the 25 video submissions and WE WERE ONE OF THEM!
Click HERE to see the video Coach M created.
Special School Events
Welcome to First Grade!
First Grade marks an important milestone for children. First Graders now have to use the social skills they developed in kindergarten in more mature ways. The true magic of First Grade happens as the children develop the ability to read and discover how it's used in everything they do! They begin to grasp more abstract mathematical concepts, and, as a Catholic School student, they begin learning about the life of Jesus and become familiar with the Church and the Mass. What the children learn in First Grade are stepping stones that will carry them throughout their lives!
Below are some suggestions on how to help your child be a successful learner.
* Please have your child read to you 10 minutes each evening.
* Reading a book for AR assessments should be read 3x; once to decode and understand all words read, twice to obtain comprehension, third to obtain fluency and comprehension. Ask questions throughout the book as your child reads it to you.
Passing for AR assessments is 80% - 100%
* Reading to your child is also encouraged. He/she should sit next to you watching the words and comprehension should be checked. Make it fun but also a time for learning!
*Be consistent when working on memorizing their Math facts. These are necessary to know for all other Math skills.
When going to Mass, be sure to sit up front so your child will hear and see the priest. Encourage responding and singing and listening to the Word of God.
* Organization is so important! Your child should be responsible for his/her belongings. He/she should be packing his/her book bag in the evening and checking to be sure he/she is prepared for the next day.
* Communication is the key to success! Teachers, parent(s), and children must all be working together to assure a successful learning experience!
If you have any questions concerning First Grade you can email me at [email protected]
I look forward to a wonderful year together!